Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Crafty Brain Drain

It's mother's birthday today and around a week ago I set about making a card for her.

I wanted to do something special and was inspired by a post on the Craft Carnage FB page (thank you Allan Preece) to do something with a vintage feel.  I knew I had a vintage paper pad from Crafter's Companion and felt that by using the papers to guide me, I could convert my inspiration into something great.

WRONG!

The absolutely beautiful papers just left me cold.  I added a ribbon.  Nothing.  I added a topper, which I had inked to match the papers.  Still nothing.  Finally, I reached out to my Craft Carnage FB friends for feedback (which by the way was constructive and helpful) but nothing sparked.  All I had was a dead piece of card and me feeling totally lost.




Usually when I get like this with a card, I leave it alone and go back to it at a later stage.  Even that didn't do the trick this time (sad face).

What's going on? I thought to myself.  Have I lost my crafty mojo?  My brain was utterly drained and I am quite sure we all know what that feels like.  It's like losing an arm (sort of, you know what I mean though). 

I wandered aimlessly around the craft room and then I started poking around in my crafty stash for something to do.  There I discovered all the lovely Tonic papers that I had been saving from my Tonic Craft Kits.  And there it was, my mojo!  Lots of beautiful colours and textures, all complementing each other and giving me a boost.

Wow!  From nought to sixty I had rustled up an alternative card that was glitzy and glamorous, just right for mother.  And while I was on a roll, I used the gift card die from Tonic to make a matching holder for her present.  It's back, my crafty mojo was just hiding in a drawer and needed a shove to revive it.



So the moral of this story is to not lose faith when it's all going a bit wrong.  Share your crafty problems with your crafty friends and know that you will be supported by some great crafters out there.  And remember your stash because there will always be something in there that gets the crafty juices running again.

Thanks for reading
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. It happens to every crafter at some stage. You made a beautiful card for your Mum so just goes to show there's always a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish - I was lost for a minute but then a bit of glitter card and I was good to go.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I do like the card you eventually made for your mother, perhaps you were trying too hard to create something alien to you, maybe you are just not a 'pretty card maker' at this time. Maybe you can reuse the pieces for another project later and that's why we have a stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the reject box ready for another go at another time. I think it was less about being pretty, it just didn't suit my mum. She loved the revised card, by the way x

      Delete
  3. Glad your mum enjoyed the really great card you came up with. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete